Thursday, September 22, 2011

Preemptive Strike, AKA What to Do Before the Meltdown


So now we're in to the crux of the matter. Sure, it's easy to speak nicely to M1 & M2 when they're not behaving like their namesakes. It's when they could use a whole lotta cheese to go with that whine that you need an "S.O.S." toolkit. Add these tips to your arsenal and the sea of life will calm once more.

Today I'll focus on before the meltdown. Let's call it 'critical mass' or the pseudo-calm before the storm. Someone is starting to get edgy, perhaps this is manifested with some snappy talk or downright refusal to comply with simple requests. When this occurs, first make certain both you and the would-be monster are not hungry. Again, this sounds pretty, flippin' basic, AND YET you'd be surprised at how many meltdowns are avoided or at least minimized when a healthy snack or beverage is made available. And I'm just talking about Mom!!! So check everyone for a low gas tank and get something down the gullet. STAT.

Second, does anyone need a nap? It probably goes without saying that Mom could use some extra zzz's and I wish I could wave my magic wand and give you the hour of down time you richly deserve. My son stopped napping at around 18 months. This was an unpleasant shock as I really depended on that time to reconnect with myself. So I implemented 'quiet time'. This has evolved over the last 2 years, yet the essence remains the same. I rest and he is safely ensconced somewhere nearby. Some days I use a granola bar, some apple juice and Scooby Doo to make it happen. Other days, I can bribe him to lay with me in hopes of earning a privilege or special treat. Whatever the case, if in any way I can find a break for us both, I take it. A little down time goes a long way in preserving the peace.

Last, does someone need a hug? I've discovered recently that my M's have become more readily upset and are more needy than in the past. Some of this could be 'age and stage' related, and yet I credit most of this trend with my return to the workforce. Whatever it is causing the uproar, I find that giving my full attention, heart and soul, mind and body to that little M, even if only for two minutes, works wonders at yanking them back from the brink. Sometimes, to borrow loosely from the Beatles song, "All you need is HUG".

I'll close today's offering with this: you'll no doubt agree it is a lot easier to parent a child who is not in the throes of tantrum. The more you can do on the front end to mitigate that meltdown, the better for all involved. Next up, some 'red light' behaviors and techniques for navigating them with humor and humanity.

Happy Parenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment